I guess chakras will be my favourite part of yogic studies. I have always been intrigued by the nature of chakras and the energy it possesses, maybe due to longevitology studies i have attended when i was young. Since then, i am always curious of the chakras within the human body and the energy it manifests.
Chakras are part of the subtle body, not the physical body, and as such are the meeting points of the subtle non-physical energy channels called nadi. There are many chakras in the subtle human body according to the tantric texts, but there are 7 chakras that are considered to be the most important ones.
1. Mooladhara/Root Chakra – Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Swadhisthana/Sacral Chakra – Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
3. Manipura/Solar Plexus Chakra – Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4. Anahata/Heart Chakra – Our ability to love.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Vishuddhi/Throat Chakra – Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
6. Ajna/Third Eye Chakra – Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
7. Sahasrara/Crown Chakra – The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.